Elsie Salter House – Adult Day Activity Program
Elsie Salter House is one of two community day programs offered by Samarinda Aged Services.
Our community programs provide an opportunity to access an enjoyable day where care, guidance, gentle encouragement and assistance is provided. Programs provide assistance to carers by enabling them to access day respite to take a break from their busy carer role and assist them in creating a sustainable family carer arrangement.
Samarinda’s residential aged care service welcomes application from community program clients to access short term overnight respite or permanent care if required. Please contact Samarinda Aged Services for further information or to arrange an assessment. Alternatively, please do not hesitate to confidentially discuss your needs with our Community Program Managers.
Located in Ashburton, Elsie Salter House provides a specialist day program for people living with dementia/memory loss. The service provides supported socialization, stimulation, recreation and community access opportunities. Quality care and understanding is paramount providing an opportunity to gently enhance quality of life, and at the same time, provide gentle support, information and guidance to both clients and family carers. The service complies with relevant legislative requirements and we are a member of Aged Care Association of Victoria.
Our programs are established to support and assist both the family carer and care recipient. Incontinence, wandering, other behavioural changes, culturally diverse backgrounds and special needs do not exclude people from the programs. Socialisation, recreational activities, reminiscing, gardening, gentle exercise, music, walks, cooking, outings, and other gentle recreational and social activities form the basis of the programs.
A safe, secure and cheerful venue, gently supporting companionship, new friendships, restoring and
building self esteem, meaning and independence.
The program is suited to people who have dementia/memory loss. We offer a Planned Activity Group program, and a program specifically suited to people who have high care requirements and who receive EACHD or other high care commonwealth government care packages.
Diagnosis of Dementia / Memory loss.
The program is open to anyone who requires the service. Home & Community Care (HACC) program priority is given to residents of Boroondara, regions of Whitehorse, Monash and Stonnington or those who’s family carer lives or works within these areas.
Our high care dementia day program (non HACC) is unrestricted geographically.
People attending the program should be able to weight bare (stand and turn). Elsie Salter House is wheelchair accessible.
Elsie Salter House Service Details
• A professional home-like secure environment offering supported socialization and opportunity for new friendships.
• Person centered goal setting approach that gently encourages, supports and maintains social and daily living skills, independence and interaction.
• A stimulating program designed to meet individual needs of people with confusion and memory loss.
• Centre-based activities of choice, weekly outings, bus trips, luncheons, community access programs.
• Highly experienced staff trained in nursing, personal care, dementia care, diversional therapy & home/community care.
• Door to door bus (wheelchair accessible) transfers available under staff supervision (subject to availability & 5 km radius).
• Delicious cooked lunch, morning tea and refreshments provided.
• Assistance to Self Administer Prescribed Medication or Physical Assistance with Administering Prescribed Medication available by trained staff.
• Support for carers including access to day respite, carer support, information, referral services, carers support group.
• Clients must be weight baring/able to stand & turn.
• Support, guidance or full assistance, as required, with activities of daily living and personal care requirements by caring staff.
• Incontinence, wandering and other behavioural changes do not exclude people from the programs, however, the ability to weight bare (ie stand and turn) is required.
Monday to Friday. 10am to 3pm (bus travel time additional)
How do I apply
Referrals are welcome from General Practitioners, Aged Care Assessment Services, HACC agencies, or self referral.
Anyone in the community may refer prospective clients to the service. Please contact the Manager at Elsie Salter House on T 9885 6426.
With the generous support of the Helen Macpherson Smith Trust and the Ian Rollo Currie Estate Foundation, Samarinda has developed this program to extend our aged care services to offer day respite at our nationally awarded facility. This important development enables us to continue to meet the changing needs of the aged.
Samarinda’s day program offers socialisation and stimlation programs for the aged who live at home and provides respite for their carers. Access to allied health, nursing, hairdressing and other services may also be arranged by clients attending the day program, thus providing even further relief to carers.
The day is ideally suited to those who’s mobility or other needs preclude them from general day respite services.
The service will have a strong focus on meeting both carer and care recipient needs. Samarinda’s day respite program is able to provide services to people with complex medical, mobility and other needs, who may be precluded from other programs.
These complex needs include:
- continence management
- lifting machine
- injectable and S8 medication administration
- specialist palliative care program interventions or monitoring
- dementia where there are co-existing physical or medical issues
Transport is in a fully wheelchair accessible bus. Carer support and referral will also be provided as needed.
The Diamond day respite program operates two days each week between the hours of 11am and 4pm.
Who is eligible
The program is open to anyone who requires the service however priority will be given to those from Boroondara, Monash, Whitehorse and Stonnington or those who’s carer lives or works within these area.